Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

It's always something...Why not make it something else?

My friends all know about my Mom, She was my hero. I was blessed with a great mother who was wise, beautiful, funny and very down to earth, just to mention a few of her attributes. She always had this way of looking at me, it was like she was looking right down into my soul. She always said to me “You are something else”. Sometimes that meant that I was weird, or maybe in big trouble or maybe even she was admiring me for something...It just depended on her tone and the situation. All I do know about what she meant is that no matter the situation or circumstance, she loved me and wanted what was best for me. It was a great feeling and I loved for her to say it to me. She passed about 5 years ago and those words still ring clearly in my mind.

Ouch! I wake up in the morning and I am tired. I hurt from yesterdays workout, being over 40, chasing kids, being way to fat. There are a million and a half excuses running through my head telling me to just stay in bed, let alone go put in 3+ hours at the gym. To name a few, I have financial problems, family problems, health worries, kids, church, cars, work or lack thereof, did I mention bills? I could spend hours on each subject complaining...Here are just a few things that have happened (from my facebook posts) just recently at the gym:

... Today I went swaggering into the pool area after my hour+ of Cardio feeling like a tough guy with my new swim trunks that I could buy off the rack!!! and started my laps. A sweet old lady, like 155 yrs old or so with big ol' Betty Davis eyes got my attention from the pool deck and started waddling her way over to me during one of my first laps. Me being the gentleman you all know me as (haha) I swam over to see what she might need... She bent down and in the meanest German accent I've ever heard said "GET OUT OF THE POOL I NEED TO SWIM THERE!"....I got out..."

A few days earlier than that...

Getting out of the lap pool to let a ~60 yr old man who is there with his ~30 girlfriend do his thing after I did half my laps (being nice)....here's what happened next (dun dun dun)
Girlfriend:snicker snicker -
Me: Turn around to see the man holding his arms out like he's fat and puffing out his cheeks waddling in the pool (making fun of my less than slight build) -
Me: "HEY! DOES THAT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF!" -
Man: "Uh...huh?" (obviously unaware that I had turned around) -
Me: "You were making fun of me right? That's what you were just doing??" -
Man: "No..No...um..." -
Girlfriend: Gulp -
Me: "That's good cuz I'm pretty sure wrinkly ass old man blood isn't aloud in the pool area....got me?"
Man: "uh yes Sir". Hahahahaa... from "dumb fat guy" to "Sir" in about 5 seconds time :)

Any way you get the picture. You probably have some or maybe all of these reasons too. I have tried whining and making excuses, but that has gotten me nowhere so far. So I've been putting into practice a few things and so far they have worked.

So.. among the less than desirable people mentioned above at the gym, I have met some great people too. One such person who is in excellent physical shape told me something that has stuck with me. “The gym is my time..” she said. I clarified...”you mean you like working out”? She said...Its not about working out, It's about something that is just for me and doesn't make me feel guilty for wanting it. I found wisdom in those words. The gym is now for me a place I go everyday to have “my time”. Yes, the workouts are tiring and boring at times...but I let my mind go elsewhere. I don’t focus on having to workout, I focus on the fact that I don’t have to do anything other than take care of myself while I'm there. no kids wanting money, no bill collectors on the phone, not even a honey-do list from my wife... just me challenging myself and loving the results.

The excuses are something...there is always something, a reason to not do whatever you need to do. I have found this in a lot of my life...I'd be lying if I told you I found an answer for it. I have however found a way at least in parts of my life to make it something else! The Word GYM no longer has a negative effect on me like it did. I look forward to going, seeing “gym friends”, getting a good workout, spending time for myself, even meditating during my long bike ride. Seeing results for myself.

Well, Mom... I know you are up there watching, I hope I'm making you proud. I sometimes still see you shacking your head and saying “You are something else”, I'm proud to say I finally know a little of what you meant. I always want to be more than something...I'm more than happy being something else.

Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have sure thought a lot of Mom this past week, I miss her so much. I hope she is looking down on all of us with that patented sweet Mom smile. We could never convince her to make herself and her health a priority and we lost her way to soon...I think she would be proud of us figuring it out from her example.

      Delete